Thanks for all the compliments on my Mele K. finish. I’m glad to have it finished. Since finishing it, I also quickly stitched up my guild nametag, which made its debut appearance at the Amy Mitten workshop this past weekend.
2010 marks the tenth anniversary of the guild and in honor of that, Amy Mitten designed a mystery sampler for us. And of course, with the sampler mystery, you also get a bit of intrigue with a murder mystery too. I’ve been looking forward to this workshop for months!
Look at the gorgeous silk threads that came in our kit – hand-dyed by Amy (her threads are called Fibers to Dye For) in ten colors. I love the names, they make me want to break out a game of Clue (my photo doesn’t show the names Col. Mustard, Sgt. Grey, and Red Herring – if you’re a fan of the movie). Stunningly gorgeous threads.
After I finished drooling over my silks, we got started on the first chapter of our story and our sampler. Chapter one is titled “Tudor Rose”. Of course, being the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild, this is a good place to start. There are ten chapters in all, of course.
You can see my measly start on stitching my rose on 40ct linen. In the instructions, Amy suggests tea dying your linen. So, after some of my classmates came back on Sunday with their linen tea-dyed, I think I may do mine too. I didn’t want to get too far on my stitching because of that.
So, instead of working on the cross-stitching on my piece, I decided on Sunday to work on the petals for the rose. These are worked on a scrap piece of linen with detached buttonhole stitch. So when you’re done, you clip the couching threads and you have a three-dimensional piece that you can tack down to your actual piece. When finished, my rose with have a cross-stitched base, a row of red three-dimensional petals, a row of white three-dimensional petals and then a spiral stitched yellow center. Beautiful!!
So, there’s my first little petal. I finished a second one too and started on a third. And of course, I loved stitching with the Blood Red silk. That long tail you see there is what you use to tack down your petal to your piece.
I won’t reveal any more than that…you’ll just have to follow along as I work on this piece. I think the first order of business is to tea-dye my linen. Amy’s model had some pretty yellowy splotches to it, that she said were the result of Orange Pekoe. I may have to experiment. Although, I’m thinking some Lapsong Souchong might be apropos for the piece a la Sherlock Holmes.
Until next time, dear readers. Just remember – Miss Scarlett in the Drawing Room with the Candlestick. But, you didn’t hear it from me…
I am grateful for an excellent workshop and an amazing and fun teacher! And anyone who names their thread “Venom” is alright by me.